Sunday, March 6, 2016

Two Weeks to Go in Term Three!

Here we are, coming to the end of Term 3, and this past week, a ton of papers were turned in to me to be graded.  I hope everyone is patient as I work to get those graded and entered on HAC.  In the meantime, I went into Friday night with hopes of getting lots of papers graded over the weekend, and then reality hit.  We had a soccer game on Friday night for one child, and a gymnastics meet at Crisler Arena for the other one; Saturday looked free and clear until my eldest came inside bleeding from a wound he received from playing football in the snow.  Something sharp under the snow got him when he went down on the ground.  Here's a terrible picture of the war wound with seven stitches:

Saturday night we had another soccer game.  Sunday morning brought another soccer game, and I thought I was done, until I looked at the calendar and realized that we have another soccer game at 1:00 P.M today!  I'm about soccered out.  Two kids on two teams is too much, so I don't know how people with more than two kids do it!  Those of you in that boat must be miracle workers.

Anyway, so back to English 9.  This past week we managed to turn in the printed copies of the research papers.  It will take quite a while to grade them since I have almost 150.  Then we finished reading and discussing the Emily Dickinson poem "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain."  Finally, we're now turning our attention to the next big unit, The Crucible by Arthur Miller.  On Friday we read an article on the Salem Witch Trials and filled out a worksheet for it.  They have a 10% Summary of the article due on Monday.

So here's what's coming up this week:
  • Monday - they're taking the MiPHY (health survey) through my class.  It's an online survey, and we'll go to the library and Mrs. Karavas will guide them through.  Permission slips to not take the survey went home last week.  If you didn't get one and do not want your student to participate, please shoot me or Mr. Lukosavich an email.  After the survey, we'll go back to the room and read-aloud and then turn in the 10% Summaries.  Finally, they will take some notes on Arthur Miller.
  • Tuesday - we'll continue with Verb Packet #4; then we'll do another day of practicing for the PSAT on Khan Academy.
  • Wednesday - we'll finish Verb Packet #4 and turn it in; from there they'll do a KWL on McCarthyism, and then they'll get their books and packets for Act One of The Crucible
  • Thursday - We'll read pp. 3-7 of The Crucible, do a Type Two writing for setting, and then work on a vocabulary worksheet.
  • Friday - we'll talk about the vocab., then they'll have a SAT-style vocab. quiz; after that, we'll continue on with Act One.
That's the plan.  As plans change, I'll update the online calendar.  If anyone has any questions, you know how to find me.  Have a great week.  Ciao!

Creative Commons License
Two Weeks to Go in Term Three! by Laura stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at laurastubbs.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment