Sunday, April 9, 2017

Final Notes for Testing, Paperwork, and Spring Break

Here we are, the short week before spring break, and boy will we need it.  As far as English academics, we're working on getting a completed rough draft done and shared with me at my school domain account before we go to spring break.  In addition to this, we're doing the state tests.  We can accomplish it all, however; I'm confident in our abilities.

First - the paper.  I've been doing check-in's right along to try to ensure that they are all doing the process it takes to write a research paper.  If your student has blanks, zeroes, or lower grades in that category, it means that they're probably not taking care of business (though my 2nd and 4th Hours did not get all of their outlines checked in - we ran out of time).  Last Friday and this coming Monday are set aside for drafting time in class, though they were warned that this will take some time outside of class to get it complete.  It's only a 2-3 page paper, but they struggle with the typing.  I asked them to submit it to me by midnight Monday night so that I can get them feedback before we come back to class on Thursday, but if they're having trouble meeting that deadline I need them to talk to me.  I'm trying to get maximum number in so that I have enough time to get them back, but I'm flexible.

Next - the testing.  You should have all received the email from Mr. Lukosavich regarding the testing schedule.  It's up to you to decide what to do on Tuesday, but for those who are struggling with getting this paper done (for a variety of reasons), they are welcome to come to school by bus, we will have a place where they can work all day, they can eat, and then they can ride the bus home.  They will probably also have some time after they are done testing on Wednesday if they're waiting to ride home on the bus.  What I really want to have happen is to get the rough draft out of the way so that they don't have to deal with it over break.  I would prefer that they not even look at it so that they can come back with fresh eyes after break.

Finally - quizzes from Animals in Translation.  If your student struggled with the quizzes, after break they can come for a Tuesdays with Teachers or Academic Advisory to try to bring those grades up.  The first quiz (pp. 1-8) was mostly multiple choice, so they can come try it again for 1/2 credit back.  The second quiz (pp. 9-16) was all written, and the topic was tough: author development of a topic.  If they want to come in and try it again with my hints and suggestions on their original paper, I'll let them re-do it for full credit.  Most either didn't answer the question at all, or if they did, they then drifted off topic.  So we'll try it again.

So here's the short version of what this week looks like:
  • Monday, 4/10 - drafting on Google Docs of the 2-3 page research paper; due shared with me at lstubbs@airportschools.com by midnight.  See me if not able to meet that deadline.
  • Tuesday, 4/11 - 11th grade SAT; 10th grade PSAT; see Mr. Lukosavich's email for more information.
  • Wednesday, 4/12 - 9th grade PSAT
  • Thursday, 4/13 - peer-edits for the research paper, shared through Google Docs/Drive
  • Friday, 4/14 - no school - spring break starts; school resumes Monday, 4/24.
I hope everyone has a good week, and then a good break. Ciao!

 Creative Commons License
Final Notes for Testing, Paperwork, and Spring Break by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.laurastubbs.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment