Thursday, September 12, 2013

September 15 - second week of school: hot!


Wow!  What a week, and what great kids you have!  Between the pollen aggravating everyone’s allergies and the heat creating a sauna in my classroom, we could have had disasters in the making, but my magnificent students not only suffered through it all, they performed every task I gave them.  It helped that our fantastic principals supplied 6th hour classrooms with popsicles (a big thank you shout out goes to them), but I really have to give credit to the students for going through so much with positive attitudes through it all.

My 9th grade English classes have begun their Shakespearean adventure.  We haven’t gotten far, but we’re ready to read Act I of Romeo and Juliet.  I have many activities to offer them; some are artistic, some are active, and some involve creative writing.  I hope to share my love of the Bard with them, and show them that he’s not only fairly easy to understand, but that Shakespeare can be fun!  We’re also working on grammar; in particular, we’re focusing on prepositional phrases.  Ask them how the squirrel fits into the prepositional phrase and see if they can tell you!

The 11th grade English classes are beginning work on the Anglo-Saxons.  Even though these people basically begin the history of who we are as Americans, it’s like studying a foreign culture.  We’re reading a few poems by them, and then we will begin studying the great epic hero, Beowulf.  Our first hurdle has been gaining understanding the he is a man, not a wolf (some of your kids really crack me up)!  I have been working on finding fun activities, both creative and active, to add into our schedule to make reading this epic poem more fun.

If your student is in my 5th hour, please note that not only is it co-taught, but we now have a student teacher working with us for 1st term.  Her name is Ms. Dakin, and we welcome her help, her ideas and her creativity.  It’s nice to have a third teacher in the room.  Your students should get lots of attention!

One of my favorite new activities of the year involves all of your students!  We are beginning our independent reading unit for September with literature circles.  This week was our first time working with this concept and I think they did beautifully (for the most part).  Most students are reading their books, and I think they really enjoyed getting together with each other to talk about them.  They each chose jobs for their discussion, I gave them guidance on how to prepare, and I heard some great conversations happening around the room.  Please note that each Thursday we will meet to discuss their books, and they should have them read by September 26.

As always, I welcome your comments and responses.  Please be sure to keep in touch, and if there are any issues I am unaware of, please let me know.

Thanks, Laura Stubbs

No comments:

Post a Comment