Saturday, April 5, 2014

Term 4 - We're In the Home Stretch Now!

Wow!  It's hard to believe that we're into the last quarter.  Where does the time go?  At the same time, we still have much to accomplish, so here's the scoop:

In English 9, we're about midway through Flowers for Algernon.  They should be reading the book every single night, because we're reading fairly quickly.  I'd like to test them over the content of the novel before spring break so that they can have a real vacation.  We can do projects and papers with it when we get back.  Please check for report card grades on HAC later in the week, and please remember that we're actually only halfway to the important grade - the semester grade.  If your student has slacked off, it's time to crank it into high gear.  If they're doing well, they need to stay the course. (I decided that since I've already mixed some metaphors I might as well go the distance and mix them all! ;-)

In English 11, we're finishing their research paper.  I'm having them draft on GoogleDrive, so we're spending quite a bit of time on the computers.  I'd like them to know how to use this system for several reasons:  they can do their peer editing online and learn how to share; they can save paper by not printing; they're learning to use a system that many businesses and university professors use, so they should be prepared to move into the future.  They will need to share their rough draft with me by midnight on Tuesday, then they will edit and revise it based on my comments and those of their peers, and a final copy will be due, printed out, by Friday, April 11th.  Following this we will be jumping into Frankenstein.  They'll need to read a little bit over Spring Break, but I'll try to keep it minimal.

As always, I hope everyone has a wonderful week.  Please feel free to contact me if you want/need to.  Cheers!

Creative Commons License
Mrs. Stubbs's English Blog by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment