Sunday, March 30, 2014

Last Moments of Term Three

Here we are, at the end of the never-ending term.  Tuesday is the last day, so I'm finalizing grades as we speak!  The weather is warmer (at least today and tomorrow), and I can see my final destination.  My kids are starting their 4-H projects, baseball is beginning, and it just feels like a new season.  Here's hoping that the spring is a good season for us all!

In English 9 this week we finished our research papers, printed them, and turned them in.  I'm going to put them on 4th term, however, so that if someone really needs some help I have the opportunity to offer it.  We also finished and turned in the independent book projects; our celebrations were held earlier this week and I took a picture of them all with their t-shirts.  For those who really read the books and put in the effort, this was a really fun project!

2nd Hour

6th Hour

Coming up this week, we have begun reading the novel Flowers for Algernon, so we're making great headway into the reading, the study guides, and the quizzes and discussions will begin in earnest this week.  Please remind your student that they really need to be in class; so much of what we do is based around group discussion and activity that when they're absent they really miss out.

In English 11 we finished presenting some pretty fabulous group projects.  I took pictures of some of them as seen here:



Presentations were a mixture of digital presentation...


and 3-D traditional projects.

I also took a fantastic group of students to see Macbeth at Wayne State University.  It was a fun day and the students were great!  They were so well-behaved and into the play, I think they represented you the parents, us the school, and Carleton in general in a very positive light.  Here are a couple pictures I was able to get:




Intermission Pictures - These are the people who chose not to fight the restroom crowds.

My favorite picture of the day (I'm terrible with selfies).  This is Mrs. V. and I with a student who shall remain nameless photobombing in the background (it gave him great joy when I showed him the result).






Bus rides and McDonald's...their favorite part of the day! 

We are now writing a research paper.  They are able to pick topics of interest to them, and I walk them through every step.  If you look on HAC and there are zeroes for some of the check-ins, it probably means that your student is not using the immense amount of time I'm offering to work on this paper, so they may need some extra incentives from home!  We started in the library for research time on Thursday and we'll be there through Tuesday, then we'll be in the classroom for a couple of days before heading back to work on typing their draft on GoogleDrive.  I'm going to show them how to use this system for multiple purposes.

I hope everyone has a great week, and that all is well with you all!  Please feel free to contact me at any time.  Cheers!

Creative Commons License
Last Moments of Term Three by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License

No comments:

Post a Comment