Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Beautiful End to September

I love Michigan in September:  the blue skies, the warm summer temperatures, the trees beginning to turn, the harvest of fruits and vegetables.  It's glorious to be a Michigander at this time of year.  Right now I have the privilege of being able to spend a little time on the Huron River as my son attends his clarinet lesson.  I go by myself to the river trails and have some quiet time to decompress from all the modern stresses of life.  I know many like to jog and walk along the trail with music in their ears, but I prefer the sounds of the river, such as a fish jumping to catch insects, swans dipping their heads to feed from the bottom, birds of all kinds coming and going, and calling to each other.  It brings me peace at the end of a long day.  Here is a collage of pictures from last week:


When life gets hectic, this is what I look back on.

Speaking of hectic, we've been as busy as ever in the classroom.  I always plan too much to fit into an hour, so we definitely work bell to bell.  Here's a run-down of what's happening:

In English 9 - we're in the midst of reading Flowers for Algernon.  So far they should be through Progress Report 10, almost halfway through the book.  Their homework every night is to read, so you should see those books in their hands!  We continued our adventures with prepositions, vocabulary, technology, and we wrote a 10% summary.  Looking forward into this week, we'll continue through Progress Report 13, more vocabulary is on deck, I'm hoping to get some reading time for them in class, and we'll even cross curriculums and do a math question related to our novel!

In English 11 - we have finished Part I of Beowulf, continued our adventures with grammar and vocabulary, and we're attempting to create our own blogs (ah, technology - the blessing and curse of my existence) and writing one as Beowulf.  My plan to have them do this in one day has stretched to three, but one way or another, they'll get a post created and printed, even if it's not on an official blog site.  In the meantime, we will continue reading Beowulf and Mrs. V. and I set the objective test over this text for Friday, October 3rd!  As far as homework is concerned, they should be reading their own book-of-choice.  This needs to be read by October 10th.

I hope everyone has a great week and gets a chance to get out into this beautiful weather since we all know how this will end...

Ciao!

Creative Commons License
"A Beautiful End to September" by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://laurastubbs.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-beautiful-end-to-september.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment