Sunday, September 14, 2014

We're Already At Week Three?!!?

Wow, time sure does fly!  We're already at week three, and we're starting to get our rhythms in place, and of course, my annual cold hit right on time.  Every year, end of week two, and my head feels like a stuffed balloon, throwing me into a perpetual fog.  So you'll have to forgive me if this is a little fuzzy.  I also regret to say that we were so busy last week, I didn't get any pictures or video, so I'll try to remember to get some this week.

In English 9 - last week we established more procedures and they learned how to post and reply on Edmodo, and we began our weekly vocabulary words and quizzes. Each week I'll give them the words on Monday and assign vocab. cards.  I'm also posting a link on my web page to a site where they can play games to review the words and definitions throughout the week.  Quizzes will be on Friday. We also read the short story "Harrison Bergeron" so that we could discuss important literary terms as we get ready to read Flowers for Algernon.  By midway this week, they'll have the novel in their hands and we'll be off to the races!

In English 11 - we also established routines with Edmodo and vocabulary, exactly the same as English 9.  They, however, are preparing for reading Anglo-Saxon literature, so they read a difficult article and wrote a 10% Summary.  By the end of the week, we started looking at poems from The Exeter Book.  By midway this week they'll be writing a Type 3 Compare/Contrast essay and then we'll start Beowulf.  Because we're reading these texts in class, I let them know that they need a book for an independent book project by Wednesday.  They'll have three weeks to read outside of class, then I'll hand out a project for them to complete for homework.  They can choose whatever book they wish, in any category, as long as it is age, reading level, and school appropriate.  I'll have them check in their book with me on Wednesday.

I'm working my way through the grading, though I have to say that I'm unbelieveably slow right now.  This cold makes it difficult to function cognitively, but I'll get there.  I'm hoping that this weekend was the low point and that I'll start to feel better as the week begins.  I'm trying hard not to pass it to anyone else through washing of hands and keeping my distance, so hopefully they won't bring it home to you!  (Yikes!)

Have a fabulous week, everyone!

Creative Commons License
We're Already at Week Three?!!? by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment