Sunday, December 7, 2014

"For In That Sleep...What Dreams May Come." ("Hamlet" III, i, 66)

You know you're spending too much time with the Bard when you dream words and phrases from his plays all night long.  Not only that, but I spend all night mixing quotes from both Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth, and then try to sort out which ones belong with which play.  Add to that the fact that my husband and I went to see UM's production of Fuente Ovejuna which was written by a Spanish poet in the 16th century, and so last night I had Spanish words and phrases mixing in with Shakespeare, and I'm not getting a good night's sleep.  Last night I kept dreaming, "Wisely and slow...and we'll not fail...Fuente Ovejuna!"  This kept replaying in my mind all night.  The first is from R&J, the second from Macbeth, and the third is obvious, but in my sleepy mind, I kept trying to put them together to make them make sense.  Aaargh!

Anyway, here's what we did last week:

In English 9 we have now completed Romeo and Juliet Act II.  They have completed study guides and notes and read the text.  We're in the process of completing some activities (this is what slows us down).  They also completed Blog Post #3 for their Independent Reading; I gave them time in the computer lab since I was pulled to go to a conference on Tuesday, so the substitute took them to the computers to work.

In English 11, we have finished reading Macbeth through Act III, scene i (although 3rd hour has gone a little ahead and read through scene ii).  They also have completed study guides and notes and read the text.  In addition, they also have completed Blog Post #3 in the same way that the English 9 group did.  I have also added on a Motif project for them that is completed online with Google Presentations.  They are finding two quotes a piece, all completely different from each other, and entering them into the presentation by act.  I have graded Act I, though they are not yet on HAC, because I'm combining all the quotes together for a 20 point grade (2 points/quote).  They spent Monday and Tuesday on the computers completing both the blog and the project through Act I, so they had plenty of time online.

Here are a couple of pictures from 2nd Hour working in the lab on Monday:

 One thing I like about Google Presentation is that each student is responsible for entering their own information into the presentation, but they can all work at the exact same time on the same document.
Another cool aspect of the Google Apps is that they can even create on their phones, so they can pick their comfort zone and create from there.
 
 
Coming up this week:
  • English 9 will be doing vocabulary.  I will give out worksheets on Monday, they are due Tuesday, and the quiz will be Friday.  They will also be given the Blog Post #4 directions (the final blog post) and it will be due by Friday; they will complete this element independently.  In class we'll be finishing our Act II activities and reading Act III and Act IV for Romeo and Juliet.   If possible, I'll even move them into the final act.  I'm trying to get their test in by Wednesday 12/17.
  • English 11 will also be doing vocabulary and their final blog post for the independent book.  In class they will be finishing Act III on Monday, work in the computer lab on Tuesday for the Motif Project, and then we'll try to finish the play Macbeth.  I am also trying get their test in by Wednesday 12/17.
I hope everyone has a great week, and hopefully you're getting more rest than I am! Ciao!
Creative Commons License
"For In That Sleep...What Dreams May Come." ("Hamlet" III, i, 66) by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.




No comments:

Post a Comment