Saturday, February 21, 2015

Will We Be Going To School In Late June?

Goodness.  It's turning into another one of those years.  I really hope we will not be in school in late June, making up snow/cold days, but you do what you've got to do, right?  I'm all business-like today, so I'm going to go straight to it:

English 9
  • Last week we did manage to finish our presentations and deal with vocab - both old and new.  I was able to start putting in some grades (as one of my talented students in "The Dust Bowl" group commented, "The Dust Bowl on grades is over!").  With the addition of snow days, I was able to catch up completely on grading and everything is as up to date as I can make it.  I also posted the vocab. quiz online, so they can do it from home as long as they have internet.
  • This week I will send home mid-term progress reports, we will actually read the novel and start our annotations, and vocabulary will happen again this week.
  • Scheduling for 10th grade will begin on Wednesday.  They will be pulling students from my class to come meet with the counselors.  Please look for the worksheet to come home and plan on locating the course selection booklet online (they do not print them off anymore).  Parents have to sign off in order for the schedule to be submitted.  Once I know all of their deadlines, I'll send out an email so everyone is on top of things.

English 11
  • Last week we managed to get through chapter 11 through a combination of reading and doing things in class, and enough foresight to send home reading and study guides in case of snowdays.  They have a 10% Summary to complete and turn in on Monday. They also have their vocabulary quiz posted online and can complete it on their own.  I managed to get completely caught up on grading over these past couple of days, so we're set to move forward.
  • This week is big for them.  We will finish Lord of the Flies by midweek and the test will be on Friday.  They will also have vocabulary and an ACT-style argumentative essay.  In the meantime, we're cranking into high gear for the ACT (which is on March 3, 2015).  They will be bubbling forms and attending an ACT workshop for a half-day.  We will be very busy, and I pray that there are no more snow days between now and the tests.
It's a busy time, a difficult time in many ways, but that's what makes life exciting!  I hope everyone has a great week.  Ciao!

Creative Commons License
Will We Be Going To School In Late June? by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment