Sunday, February 5, 2017

Getting Goal Oriented

This past week brought another glitch in my plan, but it also gave us a lot to work with.  Glitch: snow day - it knocked me off schedule and we got behind; benefit: it gave us a chance to work on how to work toward a goal even when life gets in the way.  I started the week asking them to make a specific strategy to work on for the week; on Friday they reflected back on their progress.  Despite the fact that they don't enjoy this topic, I think that some of them are becoming more goal oriented and are focused on what has to happen to achieve those goals. 

They have also had more homework to deal with this week.  On Monday, many did not finish their quizzes and had to take them home to finish them, and then bring them back!  (If there's an empty space in HAC right now for the quiz, it's because I'm still working on grading them.)  Bringing them back is often the challenge.  On Wednesday they had to take their worksheet for the 10% Summary home to finish, and then Thursday they needed to take the actual writing home and finish it...and bring it all back!  On Friday, they all brought reading home to finish over the weekend.  During their analysis of their goal on Friday, one of my students said the most amazing thing.  This person commented that their goal is to get all assignments turned in. When I asked what strategy they are using, this person said, "Well, I do my homework at home the night before, then I'm able to turn it in on time when I get to class."  Personal growth, my friends, that's what it's all about!

So this coming week, here's what we have in store:
  • Monday, 2/6 - we'll finish and turn in Verb Packet #3; we'll briefly discuss what they've read for Act II in The Crucible, then they'll read through the end of the act; what they don't finish goes home for homework.
  • Tuesday, 2/7 - we'll discuss Act II of The Crucible  and make notes on conflict, character, and figurative language.  If time, we'll do a Type 1.
  • Wednesday, 2/8 - Academic Advisory - we will do the pre-writing for the mid-unit assessment (yes, it will be another multi-paragraph essay).
  • Thursday, 2/9 - Career Advisory - we will write the essay for the mid-unit assessment; what they don't finish will go home for homework.
  • Friday, 2/10 - we'll start Act III of The Crucible which will be read together in class.
I hope everyone has a great week!  Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment