Sunday, December 1, 2013

On to December!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and feels rested and ready to go again.  The nice part about the Thanksgiving holiday is that the Christmas holiday is right around the corner!

As short as last week was, it was very busy in the classroom.  I was able to incorporate active lessons in both groups, a much needed change from sitting in rows reading text.  In English 9, we are finished with Part I and have done a creative writing assignment, we're working on artistic representations of items in the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, we'll do a personal essay this coming week, and then it's on to Part II of the novel.  My goal is that we have the book done before Christmas.  They will not have reading to do until mid-week, but they will have some writing to work on.

Here are some picture collages from the artistic activities:

2nd Hour English 9

6th hour English 9

In English 11, we finished reading Act I of Macbeth.  It's still a struggle for them to understand it, so after we read the text I had them do an activity where they spoke some of the Shakespearean speech and created statues and movements to represent them.  What follows is a collage of pictures and a video of the three groups acting things out:


This coming week we'll work on solidifying their knowledge of Act I and move on to Acts II and III.  My goal is to have the play done by Christmas.  In addition, we'll be handing out information regarding a project that will be presented in the first week of January.  You will be invited to come see everything they accomplish at that time; more information will be coming soon!

I hope everyone has a great week as we get back in the swing of things.  Ciao!



No comments:

Post a Comment