Sunday, November 24, 2013

Let the Festivities Begin!

We've finally made it to the holidays!  I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like I'm noticing more people already set up for Christmas this year than I've ever seen before...way before Thanksgiving!  I'm thinking everyone is just really ready for holidays, festivities, relaxation, celebration, and family.  I know I am! I love Thanksgiving because it's not about presents and stress...it's just about gathering together and being thankful for what we have...a wonderful idea!

Last week both of my classes made great headway into their texts.  English 9 is now through Chapter 10 of To Kill a Mockingbird.  We're almost at the end of Part I, which means this week we'll pause to reflect and do some creative writings with it.  I'd also like to put in a couple of activities that get them up and moving...we'll see, since the week is so short.  They have read the whole thing on their own.  I prefer to mix in some reading in class, but time constraints have prevented this.  Hopefully they're all taking care of this in a responsible fashion.  I keep telling them that the academic habits they form now will carry them into their post-high school future!

English 11 classes are reading a book independently (due date December 6th) since we're working on Macbeth in class together.  We did the preliminary background work this week, and we're into Act I.  My goal for this short week is to finish this act, and do some kinesthetic activities to get them up and moving.  I'm adding a video here of my 1st and 3rd Hours doing a game that involved them calling out a word from the play and tossing a ball to someone across from them.  I had two goals:  get them moving, and speaking/hearing Shakespeare's words.  I want them to play, play, PLAY with the language - it makes Shakespeare so much more fun.

The Language of Macbeth

I hope everyone has a very easy, fun short work week, and a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment