Monday, May 26, 2014

Almost There...

Happy Memorial Day!  In the midst of the pools, the sun, the gardening, the laundry, and the grading, I'm also thinking about those who serve our country.  I'm so grateful to those who are willing to give their lives to save the rest of us, especially that of two of my grandfathers and an uncle who served in WWII, and my dad who served in Vietnam.  Thankfully, they all made it home safely and went on to productive lives in the private sector, but I am also troubled by those who have come home after having sacrificed their physical and mental health, and then received substandard or no care.  I'm thinking of those men and women today and praying that we make sure that all who give us everything they've got get everything they need in return.

As we move past this Memorial Day and toward the end of the school year, both my English 9 and English 11 continue to finish the year with interesting texts.  I hope they enjoy this last unit, and that we end on a strong note.

In English 11, we have begun the book Night, an autobiographical text about the Holocaust, and the model text we're using to write personal narratives.  The personal narratives are due this week and we will continue to read the book.  On Wednesday, I have a large group of students who will be gone for the ACT/MME reward day to Cedar Point.  We will watch a video relating to our book on that day so that those who are gone will not need to make up any reading.

In English 9 we are continuing to read The Odyssey.  We are finishing up the section on the Cyclops and are creating comic strips to demonstrate a complete understanding of what is happening in this poem.  This week we will continue to read sections of the poem.

Here are some pictures and video from the tableaux they created to show understanding of the introduction to the poem.  They were in groups of two to three people and had to read a section of lines about while creating statues to show the meaning of the content.  Sometimes the statues can move, which is seen in the video a little bit. I use Magisto for the video, and for some reason it shifted a couple of shots sideways, but I decided it wasn't worth paying for extra data on my phone in order to re-do the video.




 2nd Hour English 9
 6th Hour English 9
Seniors Last Day

I hope everyone has a great week.  At least it's a short one!
Creative Commons License
Almost There... by Laura Stubbs is licensed under aCreative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

No comments:

Post a Comment