Sunday, September 25, 2016

Homecoming 2016 Is In The Books!

What a fun, crazy, wild week it was!  It's always a challenge to blend the Homecoming madness with the academic world, but we did it!  When working with freshmen, Homecoming always feels like an indoctrination into the high school world, and I think my students did a great job.  I hope that they liked what they experienced, and that a fun time was had by all.

In the meantime, the weather has now cooled to a very seasonable fall temperature, meaning warmer clothes and yummy foods made from the bounty of the harvest.  My family managed to fit in about an hour of picking time on Saturday morning at a local apple orchard:




We've already made applesauce and I'm looking forward to pies, crisps, and just plain old eating of all the apples we brought home.

I have also managed to get in some grading time this weekend, including the Type 3's I still had left of the original writings, and I moved on to grading the Type 2's which are a single paragraph with very specific requirements for writing about literature.  I've got two of the classes done on those and I'll try for more today.

So here's what's coming up this week in English 9:

  • Monday, 9/26 - we're writing a 3-paragraph mid-unit assessment (a Type 3, which means one self-edited draft).  Last week we planned it out and organized it; Monday they have time to either hand write it or type it - their choice.  It is due Tuesday when they walk through the door.
  • Tuesday, 9/27 - Tuesdays with Teachers after school - we'll do the read-aloud of the essays and turn them in; we'll do a PSAT annotation activity; our first Type One of the week will happen; we'll read Stage 4 in "St. Lucy's" and annotate it; we'll work on the study guide.
  • Wednesday, 9/28 - Academic Advisory - Preposition Packet #2 - helping verbs; check in homework; discussion of Stage 4
  • Thursday, 9/29 - Activity Advisory - Preposition Packet #2 - infinitives; read Stage 5 of "St. Lucy's" and annotate; a Type One; finish the study guide
  • Friday, 9/30 - Preposition Packet #2 - imperative sentences; a Type One - turn in for the week; finish the discussion of St. Lucy's - objective and written assessments next week.
As always, as things change I will update the calendar on my web page.  If you need me, you know how to find me.  Enjoy this beautiful Sunday! Ciao!

 Creative Commons License
Homecoming 2016 in In The Books! byLaura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at laurastubbs.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment