Sunday, January 28, 2018

Time Is Moving Quickly

How is it possible that last week went by so fast?  We're already on week two of semester two and I see mid-winter break looming (over President's Day weekend), 10th Grade Wax Museum evening is going to be here faster than we know it (March 13th, 6:30-8:30), and PSAT testing in April seems like it's just around the corner.  I think I'm my own worst enemy because I allow all this to stress me out way too far in advance.  Sometimes it helps to reflect on the past, and slow down and take things one step at a time, so here goes...

Last week we started the semester with both groups focusing on comma usage, a topic we'll continue this week.  We really need to hammer sentence structure since both groups seem to have large numbers of students that struggle with this. English 9 started reading Act I of The Crucible and English 10 read the short story "The Devil and Tom Walker." We finished the week by picking back up with Independent Reading and students in both groups located books to read for the week and new reading logs were handed out (they're due this week Thursday, 2/1).

This week, we'll continue with all of this in the following schedule:

English 9

  • Monday, 1/29 - I'm in a meeting (but 2nd Hour, Mrs. V. will be there), so students are going to continue reading Act I of The Crucible.  All parts have been assigned.
  • Tuesday, 1/30 - Academic Advisory - bell work = commas as interrupters; we'll discuss what they read in Act I on Monday and add to the vocab., notes, and character packets; if time, we'll continue with Act I.
  • Wednesday, 1/31 - bell work = commas; we'll finish Act I and all written work.
  • Thursday, 2/1 - PSAT Advisory - TURN IN READING LOG #13; bell work = commas; quiz for Act I; turn in all paperwork for Act I; if time, start Act II.
  • Friday, 2/2 - get reading log #14; silent reading day.
English 10
  • Monday, 1/29 - bell work = commas as interrupters; finish "Devil and Tom Walker" discussion; notes and pre-writing for analytical assessment for "Devil and Tom Walker."
  • Tuesday, 1/30 - Academic Advisory - bell work = commas; write analytical paragraph for "Devil and Tom Walker;" turn in story map and annotated story.
  • Wednesday, 1/31 - SAT-style writing with article about the importance of poetry (50 minutes timed assessment - 5-paragraph essay).
  • Thursday, 2/1 - PSAT Advisory - TURN IN READING LOG #13; bell work = commas; background for Emily Dickinson; begin reading and analyzing one of her poems.
  • Friday, 2/2 - get reading log #14; silent reading day.
That is the plan, but as always, plans may change.  I'll keep the electronic calendar updated.  I hope everyone has a great week. Ciao! 

Creative Commons Licence
Time is Moving Quickly by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.laurastubbs.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment