Sunday, November 24, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving!

I missed blogging last week, but I spent the entire weekend working and I still was not done by Sunday night so I just ran out of steam and time. It feels good to be back, and before a week I'm kind of excited about, too!

English 9 finally finished off Romeo and Juliet and the final essay, which we have spent an entire week working on, is due to be submitted by tomorrow night! In English 10 we're in the midst of a human rights unit and the discussions have been interesting; for the most part, students are engaged in the topic (wait until I bring it out to discrimination against teenagers!).

This week is a very short week, so I'm bringing in something related to it. I found a Ted Talk I showed my 9th graders a couple of weeks ago which focuses on Lollipop Moments. You'd have to see it to make the connection about lollipops, but it's this great message about not only giving people moments that are uplifting through a random act of kindness, but also acknowledging those who have given you that moment. It's the idea that we look back on our lives and we can see moments when we have been struggling, and someone did or said something that helped us get through that moment. We don't tend to acknowledge it, and they may never know that they helped us in our hour of need. So in this week of Thanksgiving, on our half day, we're going to write thank you notes.

Here's my agenda:

English 9

  • Monday, 11/25 - make sure papers are turned in on turnitin.com; counselor presentations (they need their Chromebooks); parent/teacher conferences from 3-6:00 P.M.
  • Tuesday, 11/26 - thank you notes for the lollipop moments
English 10
  • Monday, 11/25 - 3rd Hour - check in the questions for paragraphs 1-15, watch Ted Talk and brainstorm thank you note; 4th Hour - read book about filling buckets and do Type 1's, watch Ted Talk and brainstorm thank you note; parent/teacher conferences from 3-6:00 P.M.
  • Tuesday, 11/26 - thank you notes for the lollipop moments
That is my plan. I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Happy Thanksgiving!
Creative Commons License
Happy Thanksgiving! by Laura Stubs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.laurastubbs.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment