Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Unexpected

So. Last week. It totally went a direction I didn't anticipate, but I think everyone handled it quite well. On Wednesday, right about lunch time, my phone started blowing up with messages from my husband that the MRI my son (the college student) had just completed for a knee injury acquired a couple weeks earlier while playing baseball required emergency surgery. On Thursday. I don't know how you all respond to news like this for your own kids, but my reactions went something like this: shock, tears, panic, determination - all within about 5 minutes. By the end of the school day on Wednesday, my afternoon students were aware that I would be out on Thursday, but my morning classes were left in the dark. I left sub. plans, went to Lansing (where the surgery took place), got my kid through it, got my kid home, nursed my kid all night, then went to work on Friday where it appears that everything went fine and my students handled the unexpected with no problems. I love how resilient the young are: they bounce!






My husband - awesome dad that he is - has taken Monday off to try to get him back to campus and hopefully help him start back into his classes. Our biggest issue at the moment is how he's going to get around, but since I'm sure he's not the only student with issues like these, there have to be services...right?

So back to your kids. I did manage to do more grading, and I spent much of yesterday planning out the next unit for English 10. In the meantime my other child is performing in Pioneer High School's production of Matilda so I am tied up much of today (and next weekend), so I'll see what I can get done.

Here's my plan for the week:

English 9

  • Monday, 11/4 - bell work; 1st Hour - finish Act IV; 2nd, 6th Hours - finish Act III and start Act IV
  • Tuesday, 11/5 - Academic Advisory - bell work; 1st Hour - Act V; 2nd, 6th Hours - Act IV
  • Wednesday, 11/6 - bell work; 1st Hour - finish the play; 2nd, 6th Hours - finish Act IV
  • Thursday, 11/7 - PSAT Advisory - bell work; 1st Hour - quiz for Acts IV and V; 2nd, 6th Hours - Act V
  • Friday, 11/8 - Activity Schedule for Veterans Assembly at end of Day - prepositions test; get new reading log; silent reading; 2nd, 6th Hours - quiz for Acts IV and V?
English 10
  • Monday, 11/4 - bell work; finish movie; survey
  • Tuesday, 11/5 - Academic Advisory - bell work; introduction to Genetics of Justice unit
  • Wednesday, 11/6 - bell work; begin The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
  • Thursday, 11/7 - PSAT Advisory - bell work; finish The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass; prepare for Socratic Seminar
  • Friday, 11/8 - Activity Schedule for Veterans Assembly at end of Day - bell work; Socratic Seminar; get ORP packet - due Friday 11/15.
That is the plan, and like all plans, subject to change. If anyone has any questions, feel free to get in touch. Have a great week! Ciao!
Creative Commons License
The Unexpected by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.laurastubbs.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment