Sunday, May 6, 2018

Five Weeks to Go...

Thank you, May, for always being beautiful!  I love spring.  It's one of my favorite times of year: flowers (though my allergies hate them), green grass, birds, and of course - sunshine and warmth!  It makes me so antsy for summer.  So, of course I get it when my students just want to be done; when they just want to be outside.  Unfortunately for all of us, we still have five weeks to go, and two units.  My most difficult task these days is convincing them (and myself) that we need to continue.  Fortunately I love the final units of the year, so hopefully this won't be too difficult of a task.

In English 9, we're finishing off Sugar Changed the World.  It's a non-fiction unit I've become fond of because it tackles some of my favorite topics: ethics, human rights, and history.  This week we'll finish reading and write an essay.  In English 10, we finished Macbeth.  Anyone who hasn't taken the test needs to do so ASAP (I'm plugging in zeroes after Tuesdays with Teachers if they haven't shown up yet to make it up).  We've already moved on to A Raisin in the Sun, a short play surrounding the Civil Rights of the the mid-20th century.  This week we're going to try to do the bulk of the reading of the play.

So here's the week's plan:

English 9

  • Monday, 5/7 - hand back papers; get a new seating chart; continue packet #4 of Sugar, with study guide and vocab. packet
  • Tuesday, 5/8 - Academic Advisory - start the Perfect Tense for verbs; finish packet #4; quiz for packet #4
  • Wednesday, 5/9 - post test for English 9 - reading; pre-write the essay for Sugar Changed the World
  • Thursday, 5/10 - No Advisory - perfect tense; finish pre-writing the essay; begin typing
  • Friday, 5/11 - finish perfect tense; finish typing and turn in the essay
English 10
  • Monday, 5/7 - hand back papers; get a new seating chart; Socrative Student - Act I, scene i; read Act I, scene ii
  • Tuesday, 5/8 - Academic Advisory - finish Act I and study guide; quiz for Act I
  • Wednesday, 5/9 - post test for English 10 - reading; read Act II, scenes i and ii
  • Thursday, 5/10 - No Advisory - finish Act II - scene iii; quiz for Act II
  • Friday, 5/11 - finish the play - quiz for Act III and essay next week
That's the plan.  I think I'm a little ambitious on what we can accomplish in English 10, so if I need to pull back I will.  It's not a complex play, however, so we'll see.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of this weekend and has a great week.  Ciao!

Creative Commons License
Five Weeks to Go... by Laura Stubbs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.laurastubbs.blogspot.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment