Saturday, September 1, 2018

Welcome!

For those of you who are new to Airport and/or to the high school, welcome; to those of you who have been here, welcome back!  This blog is my way of communicating with parents and students who are interested in finding out in more detail what it is that we're doing in English this year.  It's also a place where I can post pictures and videos for you to see your kids in action.  I started this because I myself am a parent and when one of my son's teachers did something similar to this it made me feel connected to what was going on; it also allowed me to be a team player with his teacher because I could support her at home just by asking questions and giving reminders.  As a parent I found it helpful, so I decided to start one for my students and parents.

Here's a little bit about myself: I'm the mom of two boys, 15 and 17, so for me it's all teenagers all the time.  Sometimes I have to go for a walk all by myself just to get away from it, but overall, I really love this age level.  My son Christopher is a senior this year, so we're consumed right now with college applications and financial aid forms.  This is a year full of lasts, full of firsts, and it's quite the emotional roller coaster.  My younger son Ryan is a sophomore this year, so my main goal is to make sure he doesn't lose his mind and fall apart (I'm hoping some of you can relate; hopefully I'm not in this particular journey all by myself).  Of course, my main goal is that they're happy, healthy, and safe, a challenge that recently became more real when Christopher totaled his car in an accident at 11:30 P.M. one night last week.  I'd prefer not to have that experience ever again.  He's alright thanks to current safety standards on vehicles (thank you auto workers!), but as the mom of two drivers, it drove home the knowledge of how tough it is to be a parent.

I tend to be prolific in words, so I'll try to reign it in at this point.  Each week, usually on Sunday morning, I'll email you a link to my webpage which contains calendars; each page contains calendars pertinent to that particular class.  You can always go to this webpage to see what's going on.  I'm trying a new platform, so I hope all the links work.  The webpage is at: https://sites.google.com/airportschools.com/laurastubbs/home?authuser=0. My goal this year, once they have Chromebooks in hand, is to have them keep their own Google Calendar with assignments and tasks written down, so feel free to ask them to see it and/or have access to it. Above the calendar is a link to this blog.  Every week I'll drop you an email with this link so that you don't have to look it up all the time.

In this blog I'll let you know a little of what we did last week; then I'll tell you what's coming up.  It will look like this:

English 9

  • Tuesday, 9/4 - Parent letters handed out, must be signed and brought back by Friday (10 points); literary terms pre-test (10 participation points)
  • Wednesday, 9/5 - Finish off anything from Tuesday; Do Flipgrid interviews (20 points)
  • Thursday, 9/6 - Prepositions - type 1 writing; worksheets; Bingo
  • Friday, 9/7 - All parent letters should be turned in; type 1 writing - turn in for week; visit library; silent reading Fridays begin
English 10
  • Tuesday, 9/4 - Parent Letters handed out, must be signed and brought back by Friday; literary terms pre-test
  • Wednesday, 9/5 - Finish off anything from Tuesday; Do Flipgrid interview
  • Thursday, 9/6 - Introduce Animal Farm - KWL; 10% Summary of article
  • Friday, 9/7 - All parent letters should be turned in; Passion Project Fridays begin - introduction
And, of course, if you ever have any questions about anything, please feel free to contact me.  I view this as a partnership between all involved: student/parent/teacher.  It truly takes all of us working together to make high school successful.  I look forward to seeing everybody and working with you this year!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment